Sunday, August 2, 2009

New Orleans, Louisiana

I was able to visit New Orleans for a few days when I went to visit my nephew in Shreveport and then at the end of a Gulf Shores, AL trip with my friend, Lisa. When I was by myself, I went on a few group tours around the city. First I went on a night walking tour where we got to enjoy some jazz music at a club after eating a local restaurant(the 2nd oldest & excellent bread pudding). We walked down Bourbon street(not a very family friendly area!). And before the tour ended we stopped to eat beignets(thick pieces of funnel cakes with piles of powdered sugar on top). Also I went on group walking tours around the French Quarter and Garden District. The French Quarter was where the original French and Spanish settlers came(a pretty wild bunch). When Americans started coming, the Garden District was made because the French Quarter didn't want them in their area(and vice versa). So Canal Street splits the 2 areas and the east/west streets have one name in the French Quarter and another name for the same street in the Garden District still. I loved the unique architecture in both areas! But I did favor the Garden District because it seemed more of a spacious clean area than the narrow dirty areas of the French Quarter. I especially loved seeing the above ground tombs at cemetery. To save space, whole families are buried in same tomb(after year of death, they sweep back the ashes/bones into hole in tomb and then it's ready for next body). And then after my trip to Orange Beach, AL to enjoy the Gulf shores, my friend Lisa and I spent a day in New Orleans because our flights were leaving from that airport. We rode a steam/paddle boat on the Mississippi River that included dinner and jazz band along with interesting commentary from the captain. We also went on an alligator swamp tour. Capt Allen was very informative and interesting! He'd call the alligators like we would dogs and talk to them like they were cute and cuddly! We saw lots of smaller alligators and even Old Joe, the oldest and biggest in that swamp area(whom Capt Allen took time to pat on his nose). I never realized how beautiful the the swamps were! The vegetation was amazing!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That's really pretty! Those old buildings are great.

    ReplyDelete