Friday, May 1, 2009

Arches National Park





Last weekend I went camping in Moab. I went a down a bit earlier so I could go to the Monticello Temple. I was with a group of friends. You have to go to Moab in the spring or fall if you want to survive the hikes because in the summertime the temps are in the 100's. It was perfect weather last weekend: it was between 60-80 degrees during the daytime! And since storms were coming in, it was very windy to keep you cooled down! I hardly sweat at all! First, we went hiking in Arches National Park. We hiked to Landscape Arch, North and South Window Arches, Turret Arch, Delicate Arch and the Fiery Furnace(guided tour you sign up for). My favorite hikes were the Delicate Arch and Fiery Furnace. Delicate Arch because it is "the" Utah arch to see! The license plate arch! It was so windy at the top! You can see how huge it is from looking at the people standing under it! The Fiery Furnace was through a canyon of rocks. We climbed through and on top of many rock formations! We also hiked in the Canyonlands. We did a 6 mile hike! It took 4 hours! But it was beautiful too! By the time we got done with that hike, the rain clouds starting setting in. So we didn't get to see the other shorter trails and sites that we wanted. If I had to do it over again, I would probably not do the 6 mile hike, but go on the shorter ones so I could see more! By the time we got to Dead Horse Point, it was pouring! So the rain dampened our adventures! But it was still good fun and company! And it's only 4 hours away from Salt Lake! When we traveled home on Sunday, it was a snow flurry through the canyons...I couldn't believe it!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't been to Arches yet. Zion's is beautiful, but I've gotta see Arches for sure!

    ReplyDelete