Friday, June 25, 2010

Grand Canyon

The Grand Canyon is truly an amazing place! How the winds and rivers shaped this area are a miracle to look at! We stayed at the South Rim and saw every stop on the shuttle route. Plus we hiked down into the canyon on Bright Angel trail. The hike down was great, but the hike up was exhausting. I had to rest along the way! The next day we thought to drive to the North Rim. After the 3 hours it took to drive there, the rain started, then the sleet, then the hail, then the blizzard...it was like 32 degrees....in June....in Arizona! Needless to say, we didn't see much on the North Rim. Plus I was not amused to drive in wintery conditions and slick roads! It literally took hours to get out of that area! Everyone says that the North Rim is the most beautiful, but I wouldn't know. I guess when the elevation is 8000-9000ft then there is bound to be startling weather. We were glad to get back to warmer weather off the North Rim! The next day we drove 3 hours west to the West Rim which houses the Skywalk. The Skywalk is an arched piece of plexi-glass that allows you to look at the canyon under your feet. I had to build up my courage a little at a time to be able to walk down the center of it! It's hard to ignore your depth perception even though you know you are safe! But I eventually did it!

1 comment:

  1. Ben and I stopped to look at the Canyon last time we were there. But we didn't get to hike, and definitely didn't get to go on the Skywalk. Maybe we'll take a longer trip down there sometime. It sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete