Saturday, February 14, 2009

Single Awareness Day


I'm not sure when exactly that Valentine's Day became Single Awareness Day to me(probably 30...that's a major "getting older" year). When I was in grade school, I loved decorating my Valentine box! And then I signed all my cute cards and individually picked who got which card (always being daring to give a card that had the word "love" on it to a cute boy). Next I remember in junior high that my friends(three best friends) and I would make so many goodies(especially pink frosted sugar cookies) for each other that we would make ourselves sick from eating it all(at that age the word "limit" is not in your vocab). And all through these years my parents always made sure I got some kind of Valentine treat or card! Yet with all those positive experiences, I still have chosen to call Valentine's Day: Single Awareness Day. The longer I am single, the more aware I get! (Don't get me wrong, I am totally okay with being single and am enjoying it while I can!) But one does tend to have a hint of bitterness on a day that constantly reminds you of your status! A few years ago some friends and I decided to have fun with Single Awareness Day. We had a "Past-over" dinner at someone's house and left a seat next to us empty awaiting our husbands[for those not familiar with Jewish tradition: The Jews celebrate Passover with a dinner and they leave one empty chair for Elijah(because he's coming before the Messiah comes)]. We did this for a few years but now life just keeps getting too busy to even get together. Although I do try to stay out of the public as much as possible that day and night, so I don't have to see all the sweet things couples are doing for each other. I guess if I was absolutely honest about it, it's called jealousy! I'm glad it only lasts for that one day out of the year! (okay maybe 2 days because I'm not fond of the other "couple" holiday,New Year's Eve, either!)

2 comments:

  1. Past-over!? That's awesome. My mom has almost always been the giver of valentine's to me. But now that it's Ben's job it kind of stresses me out. I'm not sure why...

    ReplyDelete
  2. David and I don't usually do too much on Valentines day. He's not the flower giving type...how did he miss that gene??? Your dad is so good at it! Anyway this year we were at Jeannetta's and Dominick came downstairs and "slept over" with grandma and grandpa. That was pretty fun. :)

    ReplyDelete