Saturday, February 28, 2009

Spiderman

It's getting that time of year when as the weather gets warmer, the spiders start coming out. And as anyone knows, I am terrified, almost to the point of anxiety at times, of spiders! Every 3 months I pay for Dan the Spiderman to spray my place, inside and out, for spiders. Not only does he do that, but he goes the extra mile with me. Dan changes all my many, many spider traps around the apartment. He makes sure he doesn't throw them away in my trash, but takes them to the outside trash. If I need something from under the stairwell or furnace room(because everyone knows those are prime spots for spiders to lurk), he will get it and check it to make sure no spiders are on or in it for me. He has known my extreme fear of spiders since he first started coming(about 4 or 5 years ago). Initially, while he was spraying away, he tried to have a friendly chat about spiders with me. As he spoke for a few moments, he abruptly stopped because I looked like I was about to freak out at any moment. So now, he never talks spiders with me. I'd always been told that if you fear something, you just need to get more educated about it to overcome that fear. So I proceeded to find out more about spiders, especially the hobo spiders that are so prevalent in this area. Well I got on the web-site. Not only are there huge pictures of these ugly, scary creatures(while my heart was pounding and my breathing became more labored), but there were pictures of people who had been bitten by them. They were covered in these dark purple, blue, and red vein-like bruises radiating out from the area that had been bitten. And there were a few who had to have their fingers or hands amputated! Needless to say, this did nothing to diminish my fears! If anything, it freaked me out more! But through the years there have been less and less spiders I see, thanks to my hero, the Spiderman!

2 comments:

  1. Did you get a chance to see Raechel's spider bite? Oh, sorry, that's probably TMI. That's cool that your Spiderman is so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about Raech's spider bite as well. When she put on her swimming suit in St. George I realized she still have a large scar!! The saddest part is that she just painted her room and made it so cute and now I don't think she will ever sleep there again...Does Dan the Spiderman travel to Logan!!??!!

    ReplyDelete