Friday, January 30, 2009

Dancing Queen

I've always enjoyed dancing. In fact, in 6th grade, my friends and I formed a dancing group called the "Live Five". We made up dances to popular songs like Boogie Fever. And another friend had a huge basement with a concrete floor where we could make-up dances and kareoke. During jr high and high school I loved dancing to songs that had certain steps to them like The Hustle, Time Warp, or Rock Lobster. In college line-dancing became popular, which I thought was awesome. And at dances it was always more fun to dance with the guys who knew ballroom dances or western dances. Since college I have never really thought much about dancing until Dancing with the Stars began. Watching the show made me yearn to learn how to ballroom dance. So when a community class offered ballroom dance, I took it. In that class I learned the waltz and foxtrot with partners. Even though I could practice the steps over and over, I couldn't practice following the man's lead. For some reason, a part of me is drawn to learning choreographed dance moves, which must explain why I prefer aerobics to any other kind of exercise. With that said, I just started a new exercise regime using Dancing with the Stars work-out dvd's. On the dvd I started with, I am learning the waltz, cha cha cha, and jive. I am really enjoying the waltz and jive. I'm not sure my body is physically capable of doing the cha cha cha. Trying to rotate my hips in a figure 8, plus move my feet is very difficult!! Luckily, on this dvd, there is a slow-motion segment for those tough parts. I'm hoping with time it will get easier!And then I can become a dancing queen!

1 comment: