Friday, January 16, 2009

Teachers, Teachers



I get asked why I chose teaching for a profession or what's the best part about being a teacher. Of course I always answer: June, July and August! I do love that about teaching but I also love working with the deaf and hard of hearing population. I travel to a variety of schools daily. I work one-on-one with my students for a period of the day. Since hearing affects language, I work on skills in reading, writing, speaking, listening, and vocabulary. Each child has different strengths so their goals(which are decided every year) reflect those skills the child needs to be successful in the mainstream classroom and in life. I can work with K-12 students, but I prefer the secondary levels. It's always a bittersweet moment for me when a student graduates or no longer requires services. On one hand I'm so excited for their new independent lives, but on the other, I will miss the association I have with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment